worker suffers burns

Worker suffers burns after digger sparks demolition fire

Contractor Walden Builders Ltd has received a £42,000 fine after a worker suffered burns on-site.

The operative was burned by a heated sheet of tin after a fire broke out on a demolition site.

Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard how on 18 September 2018, the company was demolishing an outbuilding in Ripon. During the work, an excavator struck a wall containing a 415v cable, causing it to arc and ignite a fire.

Efforts to put out the fire included holding a sheet of tin to shield the surroundings.

The tin heated and dropped onto an individual who was working on the site, causing burn injuries to the scalp, arm and hands.

Read more…