A Code of Practice
This publication sets out the statutory requirements for signing, lighting, and guarding at street works and road works. This is the core reference manual for utility companies, local authorities, street work contractors and others whose day-to-day business involves street works (works by statutory undertakers and other utility companies etc) and road works (works to maintain or repair road infrastructure).
- The code covers all of the UK and includes national variations
- The code is now compulsory for highway/road authorities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- It applies to all single carriageway roads and dual carriageways with a speed limit of 40 mph or less
- Fully rewritten to make it easier to use, the code is now divided into three parts: Basic Principles, Operations, and Equipment and Vehicles
- Site layout diagrams have been redrawn to make them easier to understand
- Increased emphasis on using risk assessment and guidance on what to consider in such assessments
- Strengthened guidance on providing for pedestrians and cyclists
- New guidance on traffic control measures related to road closures, one-way working and temporary road obstructions
- Enhanced advice on other traffic control measures including works near tramways and railways, and mobile/short duration works
- Updated advice on high visibility clothing and the signing and conspicuity requirements for work vehicles
- Updated code effective from October 2014.