An introduction to the use of portable Vehicular Signals is for those with specific responsibility for portable vehicular signals at street works and road works. It provides a succinct introduction to the material found in Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual and to Safety at Street Works and Road Works: A Code of Practice.
This latest version has been improved by including two updated TALs and features a spiral binding for ease of use in the field. It explains the objectives behind the workings regarding the safe and efficient use of vehicle actuated traffic signs.
- This booklet is spiral bound along the top edge and the cover is laminated for ease of use at road works sites
- Explanation of the road works signalling system: signal heads, cabling, radio control and energy sources
- How and where to set up portable vehicular signals, such as ‘WAIT HERE’ and ‘RAMP’ signs
- Vehicle actuation controller operation, including the use of MVDs (Microwave Vehicle Detectors)
- Equipment checklist, trouble-shooting guide and where to look for further advice
- In addition to the core content, this latest impression includes two DfT Transport Advisory Leaflets (TALs), both updated in December 2015:
- Portable Traffic Signals for the Control of Vehicular Traffic
- Signal-controlled Pedestrian Facilities at Portable Traffic Signals